Monday, February 20, 2012

First Skype Interview

I wasn't sure if I was going to add more of my personal life into my blog, but I thought it was important for me to include my journey of finding a teaching job in here!  I know there are a lot of people in the same boat as me.

As a recent graduate (I can't believe it will almost be a year!), I didn't realized how difficult it would be to find a full-time teaching job!!  The past summer/fall was a little discouraging but I am enjoying my time subbing and working as an after-school program assistant.  A perk is getting to meet new and wonderful teachers every week!  Honestly, I learned so much about myself, beliefs and values as a person, teacher, and Christian, in the last couple months than my whole college years!

Just a little over an hour ago, I just had my first Skype interview with a Principal from an American School in Taiwan!!  This is the last and final round before they decide on who they are going to hire for the new year.  If you didn't know, January and February are the time of the year where schools overseas hire teachers.  I've been praying and hoping this may be the path for me to start my teaching profession.  It was interesting to do the interview over Skype because you could see the other person but also yourself.  I kept checking every once awhile to see if my hair was ok or if I was looking funny while the interviewer was talking.  It was a weird and exciting experience, and I would totally do this again!  I am happy to report that I believe the interview was wonderful and it went extremely well (insert super smiley face)!

I am hoping for good news in the next few weeks!! If not, I'm glad I had the opportunity to practice and increase my interviewing skills (The market out there is tough!).  In addition, I've been fortunate to meet incredible people in the teaching world who have given me a lot of great tips as a new, inspiring teacher!!

ON A SIDE NOTE:
Today, during my after-school program, I taught 5 Korean students the meaning and reason why they didn't have school.  These 5 students just came from Korea in January, so they have no background of the U.S. history.  It was great to teach them about our important historical leaders.  I thought it was funny how the students were so intrigued on how each president died.  They wanted to know details, like if he was murdered or died of illness.  They even wanted to know which body part where a president got shot.  Little children are so funny sometimes!

I used Leslie's cute President's Day booklet from First Grade Fanatics.  It is a great little booklet that talks about multiple presidents.  She has a lot of cute ideas! Definitely check her blog out if you haven't already!

I'm off to finish watching my episode of The Bachelor on DVR and catching up on blogs I haven't visited in awhile!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how amazing and isn't technology amazing?

    I hope you get the job!

    I'm still searching, but next month is when jobs start showing up online, hopefully!


    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the shout out! So glad you enjoyed our unit :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good luck! That would be such an amazing opportunity! I have always wanted to teach abroad myself :)

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! What an amazing opportunity! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :-)

    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow things sure have changed in the interview process. Goodluck. I love your blog- thanks for stopping by my blog.
    ✿Tiffani Time 4 Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! What an amazing opportunity. I wish you all the best. Your blog is ADORABLE, by the way!

    How cool would it be for you to blog overseas about your experience? Wow...I'm jealous right now. Ha!

    I'm your newest follower.

    Lyndsey,

    A Year of Many Firsts

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your cheerful comments!